UP To Get First Ultra-Supercritical Thermal Power Plant, State Cabinet Gives Nod To 1600 MW Project In Sonbhadra


The Uttar Pradesh Cabinet gave its approval on Tuesday to set up Obra D project having two ultra super critical units.

It will have a total generation capacity of 1600 megawatt (MW) at Obra thermal power generation complex in Sonbhadra.

The first ‘ultra-supercritical’ thermal power plant of the state will help in providing cheaper electricity to the people.

“During the summer, the power demand reached 27,000 MW. It was unprecedented. The power demand is expected to increase even further. During the Global Investors Summit (GIS) organised in Lucknow from February 10 to 12, 2023, we signed an agreement with National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC) to set up thermal plants at Obra,” said U P Energy Minister Arvind Kumar Sharma, after the Cabinet meeting.

“Taking a step forward in this direction, the Cabinet today approved two 800 MW Obra D power projects,” said Sharma.

Project Details

The Rs 17,927 crore project will be executed by the state government on a a 50:50 partnership basis with state-owned power generator NTPC.

While 30 per cent equity will be given for the implementation of the projects, the rest 70 per cent of the amount will be arranged from financial institutions.

The first unit is targeted to be ready in 50 months and the second unit in 56 months, said Sharma.

The state government has already made available 500 acres of land for the project and if required more land would be allotted.

Sharma further said that these two thermal power plants would contribute to around one fourth of the current thermal power generation capacity of the state, which stands at about 7,000 MW.

Further, as the coal for the plant would be available in the nearby area, the power would be available from the plant for Rs 4.89 per unit against Rs 5.50 per unit available now.

“At present, we buy electricity for Rs 5.5 per unit. After the plants become functional, the rate will be reduced by Re 1 per unit i.e. Rs 4.79 per unit,” the minister added.

First USC In The State

Obra D will be the first ‘ultra super critical’ thermal power project in the state.

Ultra-supercritical (USC) power plants operate at temperatures and pressures above the critical point of water. Under these conditions, the liquid water density decreases smoothly with no phase change, becoming indistinguishable from steam.

These plants, thus, require less coal per megawatt-hour, leading to lower emissions (including carbon dioxide and mercury), higher efficiency and lower fuel costs per megawatt.